Tedros adhanom ghebreyesus abiy ahmed ali
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Abiy Ahmed Ali: Two Leaders Shaping Africa’s Future
Africa is a continent full of diversity, culture, and many interesting people. Two of these individuals that are making waves in their respective fields are Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Abiy Ahmed Ali. Both are leaders with a vision for a better Africa, and they are working tirelessly to achieve it.
Who is Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus?
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is the current Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO). He was elected to his position on May 23, 2017, and his term began on July 1, 2017. Tedros was born in Asmara, Eritrea, on March 3, 1965. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from the University of Asmara, a Master of Science in Immunology of Infectious Diseases from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and a PhD in Community Health from the University of Nottingham.
Tedros was Ethiopia’s Minister of Health from 2005-2012, during which time he implemented several reforms that improved access to healthcare throughout the country. Prior to his role at WHO, he served as Ethiopia’s Minister of Foreign Affairs from 2012-2016.
Who is Abiy Ahmed Ali?
Abiy Ahmed Ali is the current Prime Minister of Ethiopia. He was born on August 15, 1976, in Beshasha, Ethiopia. Abiy has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Computer Engineering from the Microlink Information Technology College in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and a Master of Arts in Transformational Leadership from Greenwich University in London, United Kingdom.
Abiy served in the Ethiopian military prior to entering politics. He was elected to Ethiopia’s House of Representatives in 2010 and served as the Minister of Science and Technology from 2015-2016. On April 2, 2018, Abiy was elected as the Prime Minister of Ethiopia, becoming the first person from the Oromo ethnic group to hold the office.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Abiy Ahmed Ali: Two African Leaders Working for Positive Change
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Abiy Ahmed Ali are both leaders with a vision for a better Africa. They are working hard to make this vision a reality. Below are some statistics on the impact they have made so far:
- In 2005, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus implemented a reform of Ethiopia’s healthcare system which resulted in more than 3,500 health centers being built and staffed throughout the country.
- During Tedros’ tenure as Ethiopia’s Minister of Health, the country saw a reduction of newborn and child mortality rates by 28% and 60%, respectively.
- Abiy Ahmed Ali brokered a peace deal between Ethiopia and Eritrea in 2018 after decades of conflict. This resulted in the reopening of the border between the two countries and the release of prisoners from both sides.
- In 2019, Abiy Ahmed Ali appointed a cabinet that is 50% female, making Ethiopia the third African country to achieve gender parity in its cabinet.
These statistics clearly show the impact that Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Abiy Ahmed Ali have had on their respective fields. They are both working towards improving the lives of people in Africa and ensuring that the continent has a bright future.
- WHO – Director-General: Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
- Embassy of Ethiopia – H.E. Dr. Abiy Ahmed Ali, Prime Minister
- Al Jazeera – Ethiopia’s gender-balanced new cabinet ‘boosts equality’